Wednesday, May 14, 2008

bereavement care

Last week my grandmother passed away so I hopped a flight the next day back to Syracuse. Lets just say one of the downsides of being a stay at home mom is no daycare for these situations. On top of figuring out how to get to Syracuse affordably, in a days notice, the most difficult part was arranging care for the kids. Unfortunately John is swamped at work right now so we were trying to avoid him having to take time off. Thank God a good friend of mine stepped up and watched them most of the 3 days I was gone. Without her we would have been in trouble. I guess I would have resorted to "just throwing the kids in the car and driving 11 hours" like John suggested. Of course he really couldn't have been serious about that. We all know there is no such thing as "just throwing the kids in and going".
Anyway on the plane, alone in my thoughts, I dreamt about how much easier it would have been if I worked and they were in daycare full-time, no brainer!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Christa,

So sorry to hear about your grandmother. I'm surprised my parents didn't see it in the paper and tell me, I would have liked to have gone to the calling hours. Wish I could have been there for you. -Christy

Bauerfamilyof5 said...

So sorry to hear about your grandmother.