Wednesday, March 26, 2008

death

So a little while ago we were hanging out in the garage since it is so nice out. I stood there for a few mins. contemplating whether I really wanted to unpack all the boxes or not. Then I came to my senses and decided it would be a great weekend job for John.
While we were out there a bird flew into the front of our house and landed in this little crawl space hole thingy below our porch. (hard to explain,sorry.)anyway the bird was still alive but had a broken wing or something as it was struggling to get out of this hole. Sympathizing for the poor thing I took one of the kids shovels and lifted it out all while fending off Jack who thought he was going to make a nice little lunch out of the bird. Putting him down in the mulch I hoped he'd be able to fly away but he couldn't.
The girls then decided he must be hungry and needed energy to fly home so they ran in to get him some bread. He was opening his mouth like he wanted to eat, they were all excited, but we later learned why! After hitting him on the head with a few pieces of bread the girls and i watched him tip over take some huge gasps of air and DIE! The girls were very confused, screaming "oh no now his legs are broken, he's tipped over". Just as the bird died the guy fixing my dishwasher came out of the house and looked at the bird and said "that thing's a goner girls." Thanks dishwasher dude!
Sophia freaked a little and Logann just continued to shoot bread at him even though I tried to explain he wouldn't be eating it. They then wanted to bury the bird so the bugs wouldn't get at him. I was able to talk them into just leaving him and covering him with a coffee can. I'll let daddy do the digging or dumping of the bird Chester tonight. (Sophia named him before he died! Rest in peace litte Chester)

3 comments:

Spindler Clan said...

How awful! Poor little birdie!! I mean Chester!

life with my boys... said...

Max and Zachary learned this lesson the hard way as well. Last summer Max was gleefully chasing a little frog through the lawn while Daddy was mowing the lawn (you know where this is going, don't you!!!) Anyway, little froggie (my kids aren't as creative with the names) took a leap the wrong way and...well, you get it...
David shoveled the remains into the empty lot. Max said, "that's okay, now he can find his mom and she'll give him a band aid..." That would be some band aid!

Anonymous said...

thats soo sad!!!!!! i would of thought sophia would of flipped out and would start 2 scream!!!!lol
-lexie ferlito