Wednesday, May 27, 2009

mommy,mommy,mommy

i'm not sure if those of you that have kids experience the same nightly exhausting routine that i do. tonight was a typical one for me. i hate summer for one reason only, the sun doesn't set early enough! sophia and logann have recently learned how to tell time so the trickery of the clock is over too! some nights ago i use to be able to lie and say it was 9pm when it was only 7pm, aahh good old days!
anyway tonight i managed to convince them that 8:00 was our bedtime regardless if it was still light out. we got upstairs without major meltdowns only because i let them bring a coloring book and crayons to bed. i swear i will let them do anything as long as it keeps them in their room and i have my peace and quiet.
8:05pm everyone is settled in, i sit down to eat my dinner, 2 mins later, one is calling out to go the bathroom. back upstairs i go. eating again, the other calls out cause i forgot to close closet door (you know thats where the monsters live) back upstairs. few mins later one is hungry, one is hot, one can't sleep and so it goes.
its now 8:55 I just checked in on Logann who is finally sleeping, light on, radio on, fan on, lying amongst spilled crayons and choc. chips (yes i did give my child chocolate at 8pm!).
Sophia on the other hand has just tried to once again convince me that she isn't like the rest of us, and that she doesn't require sleep like we do. Just to get her out of my hair so I could get back to my peace and quiet I agreed to let her sleep in the guest room so she could watch SpongeBob and continue her life as a self proclaimed insomniac. Off she ran to bed and i settled back in, well only for a second.....the guest room closet was left open too!
on my way to ward off monsters and save the night by closing the scary closet door, i know i was fuming and rolling my eyes at her.
moral of the story.......she looked up at me as i was coming in and said as sweet as can be.
"Mommy you did a lot for Logann and me today so tomorrow I will do a lot for you because i love you"
In other words, ha ha mommy we have you wrapped around our little fingers.
No seriously she melted my heart by acknowledging the 5 million stupid little things i do for them each day, and she appreciates it! i often wonder if my girls will become the people i want them to become, morally and emotionally speaking. you never know what the future holds for them but her comment tonight sure gave me hope that we are on the right track!
these are the moments that keep us going....

No comments: