Sunday, June 1, 2008

Strawberry season

the girls begged to go strawberry picking this year. to me picking berries is a chore! i'd much rather just stop and buy the baskets on display. especially here in NC when you pay the same per quart to pick! whats up with that?
trust me i've picked one to0 many quarts of berries in my day. the girls didn't seem to believe me when i told them that my dad was a farmer and that i grew up surrounded by strawberry fields. when they found out i worked as a kid selling strawberries they decided they were going to sell theirs when they got home. a lot of profit was eaten and worn on the way home though!! interesting enough strawberry stains do come out in the wash. that i don't remember. in the end the girls and i had a great time. the berries in our basket sure didn't look as big and red as the ones on display, and my hands and arms were completely broken out in welts as i apparently haven't outgrown my strawberry plant allergy, but it was worth it, the girls love doing new things.









4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember the days of working that strawberry road stand with you. Oh the days when we were young. Fresh strawberrys straight from the patch are delicious. I should look into that around here Andrew and Abby would love it.

ps: check your regular email I have some questions for you and John. Take Care -Christy

The Doane Home said...

Oh yummy strawberries I can't wait till they are in season here in Maine but I hear you on the picking I would much rather buy them at the stand already done for me and just enjoy the juicyness without all the hot,sweaty work that usually goes along with picking them yourself.
Jen

Bauerfamilyof5 said...

Great photos! I get to avoid that strawberry picking thing since my boys don't like strawberries :)

Anonymous said...

hey!its natsha mezza marys next store neighbor.i spent the night at lexies house and she showed me the pictures.the girls are VERY CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CAN'T WAIT to see u when u come down to visit!!
bye bye