Wednesday, June 11, 2008

heat

i can honestly say i now know the meaning of the phrase "hot as hell."
as you all up north have had your 80&90 degree heat wave, we've had our 100+ one here.
Monday I had to run 4 miles and was tired of the treadmill so I figured I'd wait and run at night when it cooled down. Around 6:30 I was starving and said to myself screw it I'm not waiting, I need to eat so I'm running now! I'm one of those unlucky ones that if I eat I can't run for a couple hours.
So off I went at 6:30 pm, against John's better judgement. Luckily I chose a somewhat shady course. but the last quarter mile as I finished the final hill and turned onto Ten-Ten Rd the sun came beating down on my back. i was practically blinded from the sting of all the sweat dripping into my eyes(i hate that part!).and my water had been gone for at least a mile.
I was getting a little delirious I think, beginning to feel like I was the girl in that commercial, you know, the one with that Kenyan girl running barefoot across the desert. Of course in my commercial I was barely moving, while I recall she was hauling ass! Guess Nike will never recruit me. How do they do it??
Well I did make it home in one piece. John (the weatherman as I've nicknamed him, had to see what the temp was when I returned). I lied and told him, "aahh it wasn't that hot."
Only 97 degrees it said - just hot as hell.

1 comment:

life with my boys... said...

i don't do heat...unless it's jalapegno poppers!!!
if i want a good run i use the treadmill...for me, better 6 miles in the a/c than the one i banged out in the 78 degree heat the other day.... :)