Sunday, November 4, 2007

Thirteen Point One









Completed my first half marathon today in Raleigh! I was surprised how much I enjoyed participating in it. John always told me how much more exciting it was to run when racing. I don't think I believed him though.
I was actually having nightmares about this race as I had to take almost a month off of training to nurse yet another foot injury. Luckily someone invented anti-inflamatory/pain killers. I probably owe my success this morning to those 4 little pills(and a bag of ice). No pain or problems thankfully!
I ran the 13.1 miles in 1 hour 59 mins. and 13 seconds. I figured I would be lucky to finish in 2:10 or hell lucky just to finish period. So needless to say I was pretty happy. I'm also pretty psyched that when I got to mile 12 and we split from the full marathon runners, I thought I had it in me to join them! My feet probably won't let me accomplish that goal though.
Anyway it was nice to run the first half of the race with my neighbor/friend Jackie. We chatted and mostly complained as to why we weren't forewarned of all the hills. At mile 8 she fell just a little behind me so I spent the rest of the race trying to catch the girl in the green shorts. Never did though! Other than fighting the urge to throw up at the end as I sprinted determined to break 2 hours, I felt great : ) Think I deserve a massage tomorrow though, not sure if i'll be able to walk.
Happy running!

5 comments:

Spindler Clan said...

YOU GO GIRL!!! :) What an accomplishment! You amaze me! I can't imagine running 13 miles. Actually I can't imagine running 5 miles! I thought a 5k was hard enough. You looked great in your photos for someone that just finished a half-marathon. :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your accomplishment, I know you have always wanted to compete in a full marathon, but this is a great feat to conquer. I'm very proud of you!!!

Anonymous said...

Nice run. I see a (another) Boilermaker in your future!
-Harry/Utica

Anonymous said...

Great job! I'm excited when I can make it a mile! :)))))))) - amy

Bauerfamilyof5 said...

Awesome! Can't say I'll ever join you though......