Sunday, September 16, 2007

America the Beautiful




Did you guys see the series the Today Show did recently on the top 10 most beautiful places in the US? I was hooked on it probably because a travel editor/photographer was the only appealing job to me growing up. Maybe I'll contact some of these travel mags. and see if they are hiring. I could use some weeks/months away from my family. Our trip to FL last week was not much of a vacation. Too much whining and fighting! : )
Anyway here's the list they came up with.
What do you think? The Gulf Coast includes several states including FL, LA, MS. I would have to agree it is awe-inspiring sitting in the pure white sand in such a natural setting looking out at the blues and greens of the gulf. The Sarasota/Siesta Key Beach area of Florida is a must if you haven't been.
What happened the mountains of the US though? The Rockies or the Grand Tetons or Mt. Rainier(Seattle area)? They would make my list. And what about ALASKA? Of course I can't comment first hand but the photos I've seen of Alaska are amazing.
Now Niagara Falls is pushing it don't you think? It is a sight to see but the surrounding areas are not that impressive. Same with Charleston is it worthy? I also think the monuments of D.C. would make my list over Arlington Cemetary.
What are your top places? How many of these ones have you seen? I still need to get to Yellowstone and Charleston.
The Grand Canyon I was supposedly at in June of 1978! Can't quite picture it though. Thinking of visiting again in Jan. when we go to Phoenix for the marathon. Hopefully!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Please...no to niagara, yes, stunning, but not top 10...I guess I would have to say San Diego's rocky cliffs over the Pacific, Kauai Hawaii, the Grand Canyon, and I agree with looking out over fields of grain at sunset...and my kids faces...why aren't they on the list? -amy